Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson

Special Event Guidelines

7.5.A - Potable Water

Water for drinking purposes can be provided by drinking fountains, commercial bottled water, or from approved containers, such as igloo-style dispensers. If water is to be transported to the site, it must be done so in clean sanitary containers designed for that purpose. Drinking water must come from an approved public supply. The amount of drinking water needed depends on the length of the special event, the season of the year, and the activities planned for the event. Sufficient quantities must be provided to assure that adequate drinking water is available for the duration of the event. Please provide a brief description of how you intend to meet the drinking water needs of people at your event. Describe where drinking water will be obtained, and the quantity to be provided.

7.5.B - Toilet and Hand Washing Facilities

Adequate toilet and hand washing facilities need to be provided for special events. A combination of permanent restroom facilities and portable chemical toilets and hand washing stations can be used to meet the needs. The number of facilities needed depends on the duration of the event, the number of people expected, whether alcohol is served. The County recommends the following minimum numbers. You may also consult with a chemical toilet provider for their assessment of the need.

Toilet Facilities:

Note that the number of toilet facilities listed should be adjusted under certain conditions:

  • If alcoholic beverages are served, increase the number of units by 20%
  • If the percentage of women in attendance increases beyond 50%, increase the number of units by 25-50%
  • Remember to include at lease one wheelchair accessible unit if there is a possibility some guests may need it.
  • Toilet and hand washing facilities must be maintained during the event. Consult with the company that will be servicing the units about how the number of units will determine the need for servicing during the event.

table of facility units

Hand Washing Facilities:

Acceptable hand washing facilities can be by a combination of permanent restroom lavatory sinks, and/or portable stations provided by the chemical toilet company. You should plan on a minimum of one lavatory sink or hand washing station for each five toilets.

Please indicate how many toilet and hand washing facilities you plan to provide, and the name of the company that will be servicing the portable toilets.

7.5.C - Solid Waste

Adequate containers need to be provided in order to collect and dispose of solid waste. The size and type of containers needed depends on the number of people, length of the event, and activity. Events with food service typically produce large quantities of trash and may require transfer to larger dumpsters during the course of the event. Solid waste must be removed from the site at least daily. For most events, the equivalent of one 20 gallon container per 10 people is appropriate. Waste disposal companies can provide estimates of container needs and servicing frequency. Please describe what type of solid waste will be generated, and how it will be handled during and after the event. Include information about the waste disposal company that will provide containers and pickup services.

7.5.D.1 & .2 - EMT and Nurses

For large events (greater than 500 people), or hazardous activities (such as motor sports), appropriate medical care needs to be provided. The Special Events regulation provides guidelines for both ambulance and first aid services. Most large events involve professional event planners that are aware of the appropriate safety and medical needs. If you are not sure, please indicate your initial plans or questions on the application, and staff will contact you about specific details.

7.5.D.3 - Vector Control

Vectors are creatures such as insects or rodents that can transmit germs or disease. Providing adequate containers for solid waste is always important to prevent conditions that attract flies and rodents. If the nature of the event would be expected to attract flies, some type of additional control might be needed. Examples of fly control can include screening for food service operations to protect the food, or spraying manure piles for multi-day equestrian events. If your event is in a location with rodents, such as prairie dogs, it may be advisable to perform control activities before people arrive. Please describe any methods you plan to use to control insect or rodents.

7.5.G - Communication Equipment

It is important to be able to call for emergency help if the need arises. For locations with cell phone service, the most common communication method is to make sure the event managers have access to working cell phones for making 911 type calls. Very large events also need some type of internal communication, such as walkie-talkies for coordinating between event staff. Please indicate how you plan to provide emergency communications for your event.

7.5.K - Noise

All events must comply with the Larimer County Noise Ordinance. The ordinance is available on the County?s web site at: Most often, noise becomes an issue for live concerts, motor sports activities, events that use loud speakers for announcements, or evening events with outdoor stereo systems for music. Briefly describe any loud noise sources you expect from your event, and methods you will use to limit disturbance to neighboring properties.

7.5.L - Dust Control.

The type of events that generate dust concerns usually involve activities on dirt or gravel surfaces. Examples include traffic that access the property over gravel drives or dirt parking areas, equestrian activities, and motor sports. The most common ways to control dust from short-term events is to limit vehicles to very slow speeds, and water spray to prevent dust from forming. Please indicate if dust will be a concern for your event, and what methods will be use to limit dust.

7.5.N - Food Service

All food vendors must hold a current Colorado Retail Food Establishment License and must operate in compliance with the Colorado Retail Food Establishment Rules and Regulations. LarimerCounty has developed food handling guidelines for Special Event vendors. These can be obtained online at Please list the names, operating addresses and the Colorado Retail Food Establishment License number for each vendor that will operate at your event.

EXCEPTIONS TO HAVING LICENSED FOOD VENDORS. Some food service activities at special events do not require licensed vendors. These include:

  • Service or sale of commercially prepared and individually packaged foods and beverages that do not require refrigeration. Packaged candy, power bars, canned or bottled water, soda, juice and alcoholic beverages.
  • Service or sale of wrapped bakery items and packaged commercially manufactured foods that do not require refrigeration. Bagels, breads, whole grains/flours, dry pasta, honey, dry soup mixes, spices and jerky.
  • Service or sale of hot coffee, hot tea, instant hot beverages and donuts or pastries that are commercially prepared and do not require refrigeration.
  • Sales of whole, uncut fruits and vegetables.
  • Foods served at family functions such as reunions, weddings and birthday parties where food is served to attendees without charge, no admission fee and where there is no expectation for attendees to donate money.
  • Service and sale of food or beverages by registered, non-profit organizations based in LarimerCounty at events lasting less than 14 consecutive days.
Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.