Recycling is a business. Just like any other business, for it to succeed there must be a market
for the end product. This means that consumers, like you, can help recycling be successful by searching
out and buying products made with recycled materials. We call this "closing the loop."
How do you know what products are made with recycled content?
The Larimer County Solid Waste Department offers these "buy recycled" tips:
- Look on the product or packaging for a statement listing the percentage of recycled materials used.
- Safe bets include steel, aluminum and glass packaging. Whether or not it says so on the label, these types of packaging are almost always made with recycled materials.
- Some plastic bottles and paper products may be made with recycled materials. Read the labels.
- If paperboard packaging (like cereal boxes or cracker boxes, for example) has a tan or gray interior, then it was made with recycled paper.
- Don't forget to look for recycled products outside of the grocery store, too. For
instance, some carpeting is made from recycled PET plastic (e.g. soda bottles); fencing,
decks and picnic tables may be made with recycled plastic; and topdressing or playground
cover can be made from recycled tires. Ask local retailers if they stock these items.
For information on what and how to recycle at the Larimer County Recycling Center.
Remember, if you're not buying recycled, you're not really recycling!