Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson
> Departments > Public Trustee > Questions

Frequently Asked Foreclosure Questions

This guide has been established as an INFORMATIONAL tool for citizens. It is NOT intended to serve as legal advice. Parties In need of legal advice are encouraged to conduct their own investigation into the foreclosure process and/or seek legal counsel in the private sector.

  1. How many of my tax dollars are used to operate the office of the Larimer County Public Trustee?
    The Larimer County Public Trustee's office is NOT tax supported in any way. The office is maintained entirely by user generated fees. Monies left over after operating expenses and special reserves are deposited into Larimer County's General Fund.
  2. Does the Office of the Public Trustee conduct seminars concerning the foreclosure process?
    The Office of the Larimer County Public Trustee does NOT conduct seminars concerning the foreclosure process. Instead, we have compiled this web site as a tool to instruct citizens interested in learning about the foreclosure process.
  3. Where can I obtain information about other recorded liens existing against this property?
    Information concerning other liens recorded against the property can be obtained by visiting or contacting the Larimer County Clerk and Recorder, 200 W. Oak Street, Fort Collins, CO 80521, (970) 498-7860.
  4. When is the sales list available?
    The sales list is updated Tuesday afternoon after 3:00 pm and again Wednesday morning after the sale. It is available online.
  5. When and where are the Public Trustee Sales conducted?
    The sales are conducted at 125 S. Howes, Suite 501, Fort Collins on Wednesday morning at 10:00 a.m. except county holidays.
  6. What type of funds are needed to bid at a Public Trustee sale?
    The amount bid at sale is due in full in the Public Trustee's office by 1:00 pm the day of sale. Acceptable forms of payment per statute are Cash, Cashier's Check, Electronic Transfer, or Teller's Check.
  7. What is a deficiency bid?
    A deficiency bid occurs when the foreclosing lender submits a written bid for an amount less than owed. The foreclosing lender may elect to sue the homeowner, or anyone else who signed the original promissory note (loan papers), for the amount of the deficiency (the amount owed minus the amount of the bid). Bidding at the Public Trustee sale on properties that have deficiency bids begins at one dollar over the lender bid amount. In most cases lenders file deficiency bids because the adjusted fair market value of the property is less than the amount owed to them.
  8. What happens to the funds bid in excess of the amount bid by the foreclosing lender?
    In the event the foreclosing lender bid less than the amount due them (a deficiency bid), the amount of the deficiency would be reduced by the funds generated by the Public Trustee sale. If the lenders bid is not deficient, and someone bids on the property in excess of the amount owed to the lender, at a Public Trustee sale, overbid funds are distributed in a prescribed order. The funds are held by the Larimer County Public Trustee until all periods of redemption have expired.
Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.