County Offices and Courts will be closed on Monday, February 15, 2016 in observance of the President's Day Holiday. The Landfill will be open.
Critical services at Larimer County are not disrupted by closures.
Larimer - Assessing Extent of Flood Damage in Floodplain on Track This Week
Department: Board of County Commissioners
Release Date: Oct 21, 2013
CONTACT: Eric Tracy, Larimer County Engineering Department, (970) 498-5729
FROM: Deni La Rue, Community Information Manager, (970) 498-7150
Larimer County has asked and received assistance from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) in making Substantial Damage determinations on properties in the designated floodplain. FEMA and County staff teams will begin Wednesday October 23 assessing homes in areas that are accessible along the Big Thompson, North Fork of the Big Thompson, Little Thompson and the Buckhorn Canyon.
The effort results in a determination of the level of damage which is critical for both insurance purposes and is a first step in determining whether a property owner can rebuild or not. “Knowing that property owners are anxious for this information meant that we had to pull in more people to assess the properties and FEMA agreed to assist,” says Larimer County Floodplain Manager Eric Tracy.
Tracy explains the process:
· Four teams, each including four people from FEMA and one County staff member will travel to the above mentioned areas and assess County Building Department red and yellow - tagged buildings. (red-unsafe to occupy, yellow-restricted due to specific issue)
· FEMA will collect the necessary data and will provide Larimer County with the final results.
· The County will make the final determination and property owners should receive a letter in this regard within two weeks.
· Structures that were covered by flood insurance that are Substantially Damaged will be required to provide this letter to submit a claim for the Increased Cost of Compliance (ICC) coverage on their policy.
· This information will help determine the ability to rebuild within a designated floodplain.
Homeowners are cautioned that in some areas because the physical floodplain has changed since the flood there are other factors which may impact the ability to rebuild.
We ask for your login to prevent computer generated spam in the comments. Your email address is not shown. Do not expect answers from the county for questions posed here. Use the contact information above for specific questions.
Terms & Conditions