Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson

Aid to the Needy Disabled (AND)


  • Colorado's Aid to the Needy Disabled (State AND) program provides cash payment to raise an eligible person's income from other sources to $180 per month.
  • Low-income adults aged 18-59 years with work disabilities may be eligible for State AND.
  • If the primary diagnosis is alcoholism or controlled substance addiction, the maximum period of eligibility is 12 cumulative months.
  • State AND may also provide temporary financial assistance while eligibility for federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is pending.
  • All State AND applicants must also apply for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). However, the State AND applicant does not need to be found eligible for SSI in order to receive State AND benefits.

Note: If approved for SSI, the State AND individual will have to repay State AND received during the SSI backdated eligibility period.

Eligibility Requirements

To qualify for State AND benefits you must:

  • Be aged 18-59 years.
  • Have been, or expect to be, totally disabled for six months or more.
  • Have a gross monthly income below the established program income limits.

    Note: Income is anything which can be used to purchase food, clothing, or shelter. Some examples include wages, social security, pensions, child support and unemployment benefits. Your spouse's income may affect your eligibility.
  • Have resources below $2000 for an individual and $3000 for couples. (Resources are any money, which remains unspent from a prior month. Some examples include cash, checking and savings accounts, stocks, bonds, some insurance policies and secondary property.)

    Remember: The home, a car, personal belongings, household goods, some burial policies, and some life insurance policies are exempt. They are not counted as part of your resources.
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible alien.
  • Be a resident of Colorado, and
  • Cooperate with alcohol or controlled substance programs and remain substance-free if your disability's primary diagnosis is drug or alcohol addiction.

How to Apply

To apply for AND, you must complete an application packet. Please call (970) 498-6300 if you would like a packet mailed to you. Applications cannot be processed until all forms within the packet are completed and returned to our office. You can expect processing of a new application to take up to 60 days.

You will need several documents to verify information and you may need to come in for a face-to-face interview. If you do not have all of your required paperwork in order before the interview, you can gather it after.

If you need assistance filling out the application, contact Catholic Charities Northern at (970) 484-5010. Home visits may be available if needed.

Background Image: Cirque Meadows by Adam Johnson. All rights reserved.