Any crime victim is permitted to submit an application for Crime Victim Compensation funds; however per Colorado law and Victim Compensation Board policy, there is certain criterion that must be met in order to be eligible for Victim Compensation funds which include:
- Victim must be that of a compensable crime
- Crime must have occurred on or after July 1, 1982
- Crime must have been reported to law enforcement within 72 hours
- Victim must apply for Crime Victim Compensation within one year of the date of the crime
- Victim must cooperate with law enforcement and/or prosecution team
- The victim's death or injury was not substantially attributable to the victim's own wrong doing or substantial provocation
Please note: the Victim Compensation Board may waive one or more of these requirements for good cause or in the interest of justice.