Community Volunteer Mentor
Goal of the Position: to develop a supportive relationship with Larimer County Community Corrections clients, and to promote positive personal growth including; enhanced family and peer relationships, increased self esteem, prevention of drug and alcohol usage, improved education and employment issues.
Role: The mentor's role is to support participants in pursuit of their goals by:
- Empowering participants to resolve current issues and develop plans for the future.
- Providing a model for a healthy, trusting relationship through clear communication and setting appropriate boundaries.
- Assisting the participant in problem solving under the premise that it is best to guide and lead, not to make the decision for the participant.
- Acknowledging the participant's assets (talents, gifts and strengths) and encouraging them to find ways to use them.
Anticipated Results: The mentor will team up with a client and will assist the participant in making progress towards goals established at the match meeting in conjunction with a case manager or therapist.
Results will be measured by: Mentors providing written progress reports of contacts and activities with participants, and progress toward the participant's goals. Results will also be measured by the use of the Level of Supervision Inventory.
- Complete the screening process consisting of; the application, providing character references, a personal interview and criminal history/background check.
- Attend monthly meetings for staff guidance, peer support and educational topics.
- Submit monthly progress reports to case managers.
- Submit monthly time sheet to volunteer coordinator.
- Maintain the confidentiality of participants.
- One year commitment, weekly or monthly meetings.
- Anticipate and prepare for closure of relationship with participant.
- Ability to commit to supporting a community member during a life transition.
- Ability to work with adult felony offenders.
- Ability to communicate well, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to pass drug screens and criminal history check.
How to get started!
Fill out an online application and submit it online, or print it off and mail it to:
Larimer County Criminal Justice Services
2307 Midpoint Dr
Fort Collins CO 80525