County Offices, Courts and the Landfill will be closed on Monday, September 7 in observance of the Labor Day Holiday. Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
LARIMER COUNTY BOARD OF HEALTH – July 19, 2012
The Larimer County Board of Health (BOH) convened its regular meeting at 7:35 PM at the Larimer County Department of Health and Environment (LCDHE), 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO
Members Present: C.J. McKinney, Ph.D.
Lee Thielen, M.P.A.
Executive Secretary: Adrienne LeBailly, M.D., M.P.H.
Staff: Marie Macpherson, Avie Strand, Jerry Blehm, Paula Lady
Public: Jeff Basinger, Northern Colorado Aids Project
1. Reception for the 2012 Joseph Jabaily Public Health Hero Award Recipient, Dr. Jennifer Anderson - A reception was held honoring Dr. Jennifer Anderson as this year’s recipient of the Joseph Jabaily Public Health Hero Award.
2. Call to order - The Board of Health meeting was called to order at 7:35 PM.
3. Introduction of new Board of Health member Jennifer Lee - Ms. Lee was unable to attend tonight’s meeting and will be introduced at the August BOH meeting.
4. Approvals of June 21, 2012 meeting minutes - Minutes of the June 21, 2012 meeting were unanimously approved.
5. Review of draft agreement with Northern Colorado AIDS project regarding operation of a Syringe Exchange Program – Dr. LeBailly presented a draft copy of the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) regarding the SEP. Ms. Macpherson informed the BOH that the draft MOU has not gone to the County Attorney as there are some areas of the MOU that should be revised. There was discussion by the BOH with comments and changes made. There was discussion whether policies and procedures should be included in the MOU. The BOH does not want to be involved in the day to day operations / policies but would like to be informed of the policies and procedures of the SEP. Ms. Macpherson will edit the MOU with the discussed changes and then forward to the County Attorney. After legal review, Dr. LeBailly will email the MOU for any further comment before final BOH approval.
Ms. Thielen made a motion to accept as a concept the MOU with the discussed changes and once the MOU is reviewed by the County Attorney will then have additional input if needed. The motion was passed by all BOH members present.
6. Budget instructions for 2013 and discussion of possible dates for August budget review meeting – Ms. Macpherson presented written guidelines for the 2013 Budget Process. The County will be reducing County support to departments to make up for the jail tax that will be expiring.
Our department will have a $79,000 reduction from the County for 2013. Ms. Macpherson also informed the BOH of the County’s new incentive program regarding early separation of employees. Early separation would need to meet the needs of the Department and the County for approval. Ms. Macpherson indicated that the Department’s reserves are at 21% of our overall budget.
7. High Park Fire recovery – Dr. LeBailly and Jerry Blehm reported to the BOH we are currently not having a lot of demand for assistance from residents. The County is looking at long-term recovery issues, including impacts on the watershed from the burn areas, debris management, erosion, and flooding. In order to get monetary help with some of the watershed issues from FEMA, the area may need to be declared an emergency by a public health or public safety authority. Dr. LeBailly will be getting more information about this before anything can be done. [It appears that the High Park Fire will not be eligible for this FEMA money] The National Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has a program that could pick up 75% of the cost of private land of reseeding, mulching, etc, if there is local agency able to pick up 25%, but at this time the NCRS funds are depleted. A rough estimate of Health Department staff time used to respond to fire issues is $75,000, primarily for Environmental Health and Immunization staff at the Disaster Recovery Center.
8. Director’s Report – Dr. LeBailly reported we have received a report of a rabid raccoon today which is the first since 1963. In addition to rabies, we are also seeing pertussis, which we expect to see when school is in session. The outbreak seems to be in the Loveland area. We are at 26 of cases pertussis in 2012.
Dr. LeBailly presented 2012 Updates to Public Health Emergency Operations Plan. This is a list of changes made in 2012.
Dr. LeBailly gave a brief update on our Community Health Assessment and PH Improvement Plan. Our response to the fire has delayed some of the timelines.
Next meeting – August 23, 2012 at 7:00
10. Adjourn – the meeting was adjourned at 9:05 PM.
Paula Lady, Recording Secretary Adrienne LeBailly, MD, MPH, Executive Secretary