Larimer County Offices, Courts, and Landfill are all closed on Monday, Sept. 5, 2016 for the Labor Day Holiday. Critical services at Larimer County are not interrupted by closures. Critical services at Larimer County are not disrupted by closures.
LARIMER COUNTY BOARD OF HEALTH – April 14, 2011
The Larimer County Board of Health (BOH) convened its regular meeting at 7:00 PM at the Larimer County Department of Health and Environment (LCDHE), 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO.
MEMBERS PRESENT: C.J. McKinney, M.A.
Lee Thielen, M.P.A.
Executive Secretary: Adrienne LeBailly, M.D., M.P.H.
Staff: Marie Macpherson, Jerry Blehm, and Amanda Mozer
1. Call to order
The Board of Health meeting was called to order at 7:00 PM.
2. Approval of the March 10, 2011 Board of Health meeting minutes
The minutes of the March 10, 2011 meeting were unanimously approved.
3. Review of nominations for Jabaily Public Health Hero award - BOH
Ř Dr. LeBailly distributed Jabaily Public Health Hero award nominations to BOH
· BOH reviewed nominations and moved to select Ginny Riley, Director of Larimer County Department of Human Services (DHS), as the recipient for the Jebaily Public Health Hero award
· LCDHE and DHS work cooperatively together. Ms. Riley has supported LCDHE’s services such as women’s health outreach, immunization, teen pregnancy prevention, and finding ways to serve high risk-pregnant women who don’t qualify for Nurse Family Partnership (NFP) because they aren’t first-time moms.
*MOTION was made to select Ms. Riley as the Jabaily Public Health Hero award recipient
**MOTION was unanimously approved
· LCHDE will inform Ms. Riley that she was selected for the award and invite her and interested DHS and LCDHE staff to a future BOH meeting where the award and plaque will be presented. A press release will also go out informing the public of the award and selected recipient
4. Review of County Health Rankings released March 30 - Dr. LeBailly
· Dr. LeBailly distributed the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation’s County Health Rankings report, including state maps relating to Health Outcomes and Factors Maps, as well as socioeconomic indicators. Larimer County ranked 8th in health outcomes and 7th in health risk factors
5. Update on Community Health Assessment/County Public Health Improvement Planning Process - Dr. LeBailly
Ř LCDHE is planning to complete a community health assessment between July and December 2011, and a county public health improvement plan between January and June 2012 to comply with the 2008 Public Health Reorganization Act.
· The State has not yet released guidance on how they would like us to complete the assessment and improvement plan, but shared some draft guidance documents with Dr. LeBailly.
· The State would like all local health agencies to use a standard prioritization process they’ve developed. LCDHE will be adding some of the State’s prioritization criteria to the department’s prioritization tool that staff have been working on.
· The Office of Planning and Partnership has approx. $30,000 of Preventive Health Block money that may be available to LCDHE to help with assessment and improvement plan
· LCDHE is trying to partner and with other community agencies who also need to complete a health assessment to prevent duplication of efforts
· Ms. Thielen suggested LCDHE pay attention to public health accreditation requirements during process
· National Association of County and City Health Officials will be offering grants of $35,000 to 12 local health departments to complete their assessment and improvement plan. The likelihood of Larimer County being awarded this funding is quite low, so the state funds would be a better option.
6. Financial and Budget Process Update - Marie Macpherson
Ř Ms. Macpherson distributed and explained LCDHE’s Fund Analysis Report for the year 2010 from the County’s Budget System
· Out of a $9 million budget, our revenue projections were short by only $20,000, $16,000 of which was due to receiving less tax support from the county than originally projected.
· LCDHE had over $200,000 of expense savings in 2010. We expended approximately 2.5% less than estimated in the revised 2010 budget.
· Rather than using fund balance, LCDHE added approx. $10,000 to the fund balance. It is typical for LCDHE to use less fund balance than projected in our budgets.
· LCDHE has a preliminary projection to use $575,297 of fund balance in 2011
· BOH requested Ms. Macpherson include the year-to-date (YTD) actual and YTD variance numbers on the Budget System Report
Ř Ms. Macpherson provided an update on LCDHE’s department-wide budget process to BOH
· Staff’s feedback on LCDHE’s existing prioritization matrix has been compiled
· LCDHE is in the process of reviewing the State’s prioritization criteria and incorporating it, along with staff’s feedback, into the department’s prioritization matrix.
· LCDHE will bring a review of the department-wide budget process to June BOH meeting
Ř Ms. Macpherson presented information about the Water Quality Program’s on-site wastewater permit fees and revenues in 2010
· The Board had increased septic permit fees effective 6/1/10 in effort to recover 69% of their cost
· LCDHE recovered almost 69% of their costs in 2010
· LCDHE is on track to recover a bit more than 69% of their cost in 2011. LCDHE will never get above 74.5% of cost recovery unless statutory changes are made because fees for new residential, new commercial, and commercial repair permits are the current maximum allowed by law passed in 1997
· LCDHE is in the process of finalizing their septic permit fee adjustment draft policy
· Ms. Macpherson distributed and reviewed details of permit numbers over time to BOH
· LCDHE anticipates the number of permits purchased to remain the same in 2011 as previous two years
· LCDHE’s mortgage loans, remodel and vaults fees could be increased about 6-7% and would get the Department to about 72% of cost recovery; this would mean about 56 people being impacted by a $20-25 fee increase
· Board decided to stay at approx. 70% of cost recovery and address permit fees next year
Ř Dr. LeBailly updated BOH on the County’s 2012 budget process
· Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) is considering unfreezing salaries and raising pay ranges as County is falling behind other governmental agencies that have not frozen salaries
· LCDHE completed the capacity, demand, opportunities and threats (CDOT) components for their 5 service buckets as requested by BOCC. Dr. LeBailly distributed and reviewed components with BOH and she will be discussing these components with the BOCC on 4/18/11
· Dr. LeBailly will connect with BOH on feedback from 4/18/11 meeting with BOCC
7. Planning for Joint /Board of Commissioners (BOCC)/Board of Health meeting in June or July – BOH and staff
Ř BOH usually meets with BOCC for their joint meeting in June. Dr. LeBailly suggested having the meeting in May as one of the commissioners may be unable to attend June BOH meeting
· BOH suggested to meet on Thursday, May 12th or Tuesday, May 17 for joint BOH meeting
· LCDHE will check BOCC's and Dr. Richards availability on 5/12 or 5/17 to attend the regular BOH meeting from 6-7:30 p.m. and the joint meeting from 7:30-9 p.m.
· Possible discussion topics for joint meeting were reviewed
· Dr. LeBailly will send the County’s prioritization tool to the BOH and will draft some talking points for joint meeting
8. Director's Report – Dr. LeBailly
· Dr. LeBailly discussed the situation with the re-used pediatric flu syringes in a local medical office. LCDHE will be following-up with the families involved to make sure follow testing is done
· LCDHE was approached in December 2010 by a company affiliated with Animal Planet who wanted to include Larimer County’s meningococcal outbreak in a show for their new series called Killer Outbreaks. The episode on the local outbreak is called “Blood Sport” and will air May 6, 2011 [delayed until Fall 2011]
· Dr. LeBailly will send BOH a web link to LCDHE’s national immunization conference presentation on meningococcal clinics
· Dr. LeBailly distributed a list of graduate students who will be presenting their master’s projects from the School of Public Health (Colorado State University’s branch) to BOH as several students on the list are affiliated with LCDHE
Next meeting, May 12, 2011
Amanda Mozer, Recording Secretary Adrienne LeBailly, MD, Executive Secretary