County Offices, Courts and the Landfill will be closed Monday, May 25 in observance of Memorial Day. Critical services at Larimer County will not be disrupted by this closure.
Larimer County Agricultural Advisory Board
September 12, 2012
Members present: David Bee, Curtis Bridges, LuAnn Goodyear, Lew Grant, Linda Hoffmann (Staff Liaison, Larimer County Planning & Building Division), Minerva Lee, Gail Meisner, John Rankin, George Reed, Mike Salaz, Richard Seaworth, Jon Slutsky and George Wallace. Guests: Norm Dalsted and Brenda Gimeson.
Members absent: Karen Crumbaker (CSU Extension), Lew Gaiter, Jason Kraft, Val Manning and Brett Markham.
I. Vice President, David Bee called the meeting to order at 12:40 p.m. Gail Meisner will be taking minutes.
II. Introductions were made.
III. The May 9, 2012 AAB Meeting Minutes were approved.
IV. Linda Hoffmann announced the transition of Staff Liaison to Brenda Gimeson.
V. Guest speaker, Norm Dalsted from CSU gave a Power Point Presentation on the Federal Farm Bill. Brenda will forward copies of this presentation to Board members.
VI. Lew Grant reported on the workshop held at the Grant Family Farms with Representative Jarred Polis.
VII. LuAnne Goodyear gave a report for the Public Education and Outreach Committee. The LC Fair Booth was reviewed and discussed for possible changes for next year. Curtis Bridges proposed printing bumper stickers for distribution. Possible farm locations were discussed for the upcoming Thanksgiving Weekend Farm tour event. Curtis Bridges suggested having a “City Lights in the Country” contest in conjunction with the Coloradoan for Christmas time.
VIII. Water Availability Committee co-chair, George Wallace gave an update of the Water Sharing Proposal. Richard Seaworth stressed the importance of this concept as a long term solution for the future of Larimer County Agriculture. Lists were handed out and reviewed of possible members for a working group. Minerva Lee moved to submit the list to the City of Fort Collins and it was seconded by John Rankin.
IX. Lew Grant reported on the Agricultural Land Preservation and Stewardship Committee. He distributed copies of the Open Lands Survey for members to complete. To complete the survey online at: www.rrcinfo.com/Larimer2. Please forward this link to other residents of Larimer County.
X. The Legislative and Public Policy Committee members reviewed weekly updates during the Colorado Legislative session. Gail Meisner reported that the Water Ballot Initiatives 3 and 45 were withdrawn because supporters were unable to gain necessary signatures. These issues would be devastating to agriculture if they get on the ballot in the future. She believes this new committee was very important to continue in the future to inform Board members and the Commissioners of issues that might affect Agriculture.
XI. Gail Meisner reported for Jennifer Bornhoft of ARDEC that they have been continuing to struggle with theft issues of fuel, vehicles and electrical cords. They have installed several security features including locks, gates and upgrading lighting.
XII. Minerva Lee distributed handouts on NISP for a current update.
1. The next meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 14, 2012 at 12:30 p.m. at the Extension Office. The Sheriff’s office will be contacted to talk about the thefts on farms of electrical wires, fuel and hay, plus the agricultural burning.
2. Northern Colorado Water Conservancy District will be hosting a 75th Anniversary Celebration Open House on Thursday, September 20, 2012 from 1 to 4 p.m. at 220 Water Avenue, Berthoud, CO.
3. Please remember to RSVP by September 19 to attend the Thank you Reception for LC Board members on Monday, September 24, 2012 from 4:30 to 6 p.m. in the hearing room, 1st floor of the Larimer County Court House.
4. Larimer County Farmers Union will be holding their Annual Meeting and Crackerbarrel with local candidates on Monday, September 17 at 5:30 p.m. at the Poudre Valley REA Conference Room at the Windsor exit.
5. Larimer County Farm Bureau will hold their Annual Luncheon on Saturday, November 3 at noon at the American Legion in LaPorte.
XIV. The meeting was adjourned at 3 p.m.