MINUTES

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 , 5:30 - 8:30 p.m.,

Bison Visitor Center , 1800 South County Road 31, Loveland, CO

Text Box: The mission of the Larimer County Parks and Open Lands Department is to establish, protect, and manage significant regional parks and open lands, providing quality outdoor recreational opportunities and stewardship of natural resource values.  We are committed to fostering a sense of community and appreciation for the natural and agricultural heritage of Larimer County for present and future generations.

Present:

Board members:

Frank Cada

Mark DeGregorio

Russ Fruits

Frank Gillespie

Linda Knowlton

Barry Lewis

Tom Miller

Steve Schweitzer

Vickie Traxler

 

Staff:

Commissioner Steve Johnson

Gary Buffington

Mark Caughlan

Deb Wykoff

 

Absent:

Forrest Orswell

Chad LaChance

 

The July 13, 2010, meeting of the Parks Advisory Board was called to order by Chair Linda Knowlton at 5:35 p.m.  The Minutes of the May 11, 2010, meeting were approved.

 

BOARD MEMBER REPORTS

  • Tom Miller:  He has visited the lakes and met some of the people at the gates, and has been impressed. The urinal in the park restroom at North Pines is in despicable condition; he thinks we can do better in our quest for excellence.

  • Mark Caughlan noted that restrooms are cleaned twice a day during the season.  He asked Tom to call him the next time he’s in the park, and Mark will meet him for an inspection.

  • Russ Fruits:  He’s visited the Carter Lake swim beach weekly with his children, and it’s been packed.

  • Frank Cada:  He worked on a volunteer project to clean up Narrows Park, and noticed that the restroom has been removed.

  • Chris Fleming:  The old one was removed, and due to flood plain restrictions, it cannot be replaced.
  • Frank Cada:  He noted the improved condition at Glade Park, and complimented staff .

PUBLIC COMMENT: Items not on the agenda - None

 

GENERAL INFORMATION:  (Questions – 5 min.)

§  Natural Resource Events for July. See website http://www.larimer.org/naturalresources.

§  August 4, 2010, will be the date of the annual Natural Resources picnic for staff & advisory boards.  The event will once again be located at the Sail & Saddle Club at Horsetooth Reservoir, from 4:30 – 7:30 p.m.  An email invitation with additional information will be going out soon.  Families are welcome to attend.  Please take the time to join us!  RSVP to Deb at wykoffd@co.larimer.co.us

§  Retiring member, Dave Coulson, is unable to attend the picnic on August 4.  So he will attend the August PAB meeting to be recognized for his service.

§  Steve Schweitzer has been appointed by the County Commissioners to replace retiring member, Dave Coulson, on the Parks Advisory Board.  Steve is a resident of Berthoud, who is the Director of Broadband Consulting, with Sand Cherry Associates, Inc.  He describes himself as an active outdoorsman, fly fisherman and user of Larimer County parks.  He is writing a book about fly fishing in Rocky Mountain National Park.

§  GOCO has announced a grant of $185,000, for the Eagle Campground Camper Services Building, located at Carter Lake.  Congratulations to Zac Wiebe, Natural Resources Resource Technician, who wrote the successful grant application!

§  The Conservation Fund received a GOCO grant of $1.5 million for protection of the Ben de la Tour Scout Camp.  Larimer County assisted by GPS’ing in the boundary of the conservation easement.

 

STANDING AGENDA ITEMS:

Park District updates and Parks Master Plan Implementation Progress report –
Chris Fleming reported:

§  Reservoirs are still full, which is unusual.  The boat use has not increased accordingly.

§  The Sr. Ranger for Carter Lake quit two weeks before Memorial Day, which has stretched resources to the limit.

§  The Estes campgrounds opened in mid-May.  There have been numerous infrastructure problems.  A new sewer line and shower house construction will begin in mid-September.  The pool is open at Mary’s Lake.  At East Portal, bears have been a problem.

§  Hermit Park:  13 weddings this year, and several other corporate functions.  Campground programs are a huge draw – over 50 people on average.  The main road is deteriorating with heavy use. 

§  The Carter Lake Marina contract went out to bid.  The bid closes in August.

Board and staff comment:

§  Mark DeGregorio:  Suggested bear-proof boxes for food storage in campgrounds. 

§  Frank Gillespie:  Would it help to close the road during the winter?

§  Chris:  It would reduce maintenance, but wouldn’t reduce the wash-boarding.  However, they are looking at closing the park for two months to reduce operating costs (Jan-Feb).

§  Steve Schweitzer:  Mosquitos are bad – is there any plan to mitigate? [No mitigation is planned.]

§  Tom Miller:  How much beetle damage?

§  Chris:  We treated 85-100 “character” trees only, due to budget constraints.  There has been increased damage observed this year.  The ponderosa are hardest hit at Hermit.  

 

Mark Caughlan reported:

§  Week day use at Horsetooth has gone up with the temperatures.

§  July 4th weekend was crazy busy.  Every parking space was full.

§  Swim beach improvements:  More parking spots and facilities – all full.  S. Bay swim beach improvements should be done in September.

§  Sunrise swim beach construction will start in October.

§  All Horsetooth GOCO projects (Master Plan Priority 1 projects) will be done by the end of the year.

§  In 2009, we had 12 BUI arrests.  This year, only 3 or 4.  It’s a tribute to the hard work of our staff.  The legalization of medical marijuana has caused a huge increase in marijuana use.

§  Revenues YTD are up 10% over last year, despite a slow start due to cold, wet weather.

§  There was a fatality on Father’s Day – a heart attack on a boat.

DIRECTOR’S REPORT             

§   A Finance Subcommittee is being formed to evaluate options for future funding mechanisms for the Department of Natural Resources.  Gary has asked Linda Knowlton to be involved.  One option to be considered is expanding the tax to include funding for parks as well as open space. Russell Fruits and Tom Miller also volunteered.  Russ will be the second representative for PAB.  The subcommittee will meet about once monthly over the next year to develop options for consideration by the County Commissioners.  Topics will include timing of the next tax initiative, discussions with the cities to determine the allocation of the tax revenues, identification of priorities (acquisition versus maintaining what we have, etc.)

     

ACTION ITEMS:  

The Fort Collins Rowing Association presented the results of their discussions with Glenn Werth, owner of the Inlet Bay Marina, and proposed plans for a club storage facility. 

§   After looking at several possible locations, Mark and Eric _____, of the Rowing Assocation, met with Inlet Bay Marina owner, Glenn Werth, to talk about options for building a facility there.

§   Eric ______, from the Rowing Association, explained the proposal to build a floating structure about the same size as the IBM store.  It would be located toward the south end of Inlet Bay, to the left of the boat ramp, where the roof line will be below the embankment, unobtrusive.  The Rowing Assn. will raise the money to pay for it, and will operate it.  Glenn will build and maintain it.

§   Board approval is required to change the Master Plan, which proposed putting such a facility at the Sunrise Swim Beach, where it is not feasible.

§  

Tom Miller moved that the Board listen to public input before making a recommendation.  Vickie Traxler seconded the motion. After discussion, following, the motion failed, 2 to 3, with numerous abstentions.

 

 
There will be a public meeting for the neighbors to update them on this as well as other improvements in the works at Horsetooth.

 

 

 

 

Board and staff discussion:

§   Vickie Traxler:  She asked where the meeting would take place, and where/when the Board would take comment.

§   Linda Knowlton:  Hopes we’d have a neighborhood meeting on location, and the Board would attend to hear comment.

§   Frank Cada:  He also feels the public should give input before a decision is made.

§   Tom Miller:  We’re asking for input from the public; we should let the public talk to the point before we make a recommendation.

§   Gary Buffington:  The Rowing Association and the sport have been on the lake for six years, and the boat storage container has been there for three years, so it has had plenty of exposure to the public and other recreation. 

§   Russell Fruits:  Is it appropriate for the Board to rule on what Glenn can put at the Marina?  What if it were a boat the same size, and why would that be appropriate?

§   Barry Lewis:  If Glenn Werth wanted to expand his facilities at the Marina, would he have to bring it to the Board?  And the neighbors should not have more influence than any other citizen.

§   Tom Miller:  It’s a change in the Master Plan – public input is required.

§   Steve Schweitzer:  The owners of boats at the Marina may have more input than neighbors.

§   Vickie Traxler:  Requests that staff look into what the process is if the Marina wants to make a change to its facilities.

§   Mark Caughlan:  It depends on what it is.  A large on-land building was required to seek public comment – it failed.  The addition of slips and moorings was approved internally.

§   Tom Miller:  What is planned for fund-raising?

§   Eric:  Two members of the Associaton are experienced professional fund-raisers.  A grant proposal was turned down because of the lack of a permanent facility.

Russ Fruits made, and Frank Gillespie seconded, a motion that the Parks Master Plan be amended to enable the Fort Collins Rowing Association to build a facility at the Inlet Bay Marina.  Motion passed.

 

 

 
 

 

 

 

 


§   Linda Knowlton:  It would be a good idea to have a neighborhood meeting at Horsetooth to review all the improvements at Horsetooth. 

§   Mark Caughlan:  That will happen sometime in August after advertising for two weeks.

 

EXECUTIVE SESSION

 

Barry Lewis made, and Mark Degregorio seconded, a motion that the Board enter Executive Session, pursuant to C.R. S. 24-6-402(4)(a), for discussion pertaining to the purchase, acquisition, lease, transfer or sale of any real or personal property interest, and to discuss  the confidentiality of executive sessions.  The motion passed.  The Board entered Executive Session at 7:15 p.m.  Russ Fruits made, and Mark DeGregorio seconded, a motion to exit Executive Session.  Motion approved.  The Board exited Executive Session at 7:50 p.m.

 

 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


The meeting adjourned at 7:50 p.m.

 

Respectfully submitted,

 

Debra Wykoff

 

APPROVED:

 

 

 


Linda Knowlton, Chair

 

 

Next regular meeting: August 10, 2010, Bison Visitor Center, 1800 S. County Road 31, Loveland, CO