Loveland Bike Trail
 

Advisory Council Meeting

June November 814, 2007

Minutes

Held at 1501 Blue Spruce Drive

Fort Collins, Colorado  80524

 

Members Present:

Nancy Arthur

Roger Bailey

Jim Barlow Paul Bell

 

Cassie CastleberrySteve Budner

Helen Davis Marcy Greenslit

Rene DeMattei Elnora McCloughan

 

Manfred Diehl

Marcy Greenslit

Elnora McCloughan

 

Barbara Nuss Janet Montera

Ellen Pihlstrom Barbara Nuss

Mary Shultz Karen Reinhardt

 

Earl Stevens Mary Shultz

Stan Ulrich Lloyd Spawn

Sharon Zamora Earl Stevens

 

Stan Ulrich

Don Venneberg

Sharon Zamora

 

 

 

 

Members Absent:

Rene DeMattei

Ellen Pihlstrom

Barbara Tuttle

Members Absent:

Steve Budner

Matt Jackson

Janet Montera

 

Barbara Tuttle

Don Venneberg

 

 

 

 

 

Staff Present:

Tina Barker Ruth Coberly

Tina HugoTina Hugo

Margaret LongMargaret Long

 

Katy MasonKaty Mason

Glen RathgeberLynette McGowan

Laura Sutherlin Glen Rathgeber

 

Laura Sutherlin

 

 

 

 

 

 

Guests Present:

Randy Eubanks

 

 

CALL TO ORDER

Earl StevensElnora McCloughan called the meeting to order at 1:34 32 p.m.

INTRODUCTIONS

There were no introductions.

CONSIDERATION OF MINUTES OF October 11, 2007        

Grammatical changes were recommended to the last sentence on page 1, such as, should be, as an example; Page 2 place the in front of Chilson Senior Center; remove the d from increased in the second paragraph under Update on Office on Aging, and S-CHIP should be all capitals under Public Policy & Advocacy Committee.  Minutes were accepted with recommended changes.

CHAIR REPORT

Elnora McCloughan highlighted the email from Margaret regarding the Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (GLBT) population in assisted living and nursing homes being discriminated against

UPDATE ON OFFICE ON AGING

Margaret Long reported that the Bylaws have been submitted to the County Commissioners.  The Commissioner’s responded that the committee structure is okay.  In addition, they requested that the statement about “actively recruiting an elected official remainDiscussion ensued.  Commissioner Randy Eubanks will take the information back to the commissioners for clarification. 

 

Margaret stated that last year the Bellvue Senior Center asked VOA (Volunteers of America) to cut meals from 2-days to 1-day during the winter due to the cost of heating the building.  Margaret asked for council input on paying the utility bills during the winter to provide meals for 2-days a week.  Cassie Castleberry made a motion that the Office on Aging offer to underwrite the utility bills in order to keep the senior center open for the 2-days.  Mary Shultz seconded the motion.  All were in favor.  Margaret informed the council that she and Tina Hugo will be visiting the Bellvue Senior Center next Thursday to award a certificate of appreciation to Dorothy Hill for her wonderful work on their monthly newsletter. 

 

Margaret met with Diane Stobnicke of VOA to discuss concerns about reaching the estimated number of congregate meals.  Diane estimated that VOA will be short approximately 6,000 mealsMargaret noted that nationally, congregate meal attendance is dropping.  It seems that the largest drop off in Larimer County is at the Chilson Senior CenterSeveral ideas were discussed.  Margaret wants to be cautious adding additional days in case next year there is a need to reduce meals due to funding.  Diane has decided on a short term way to utilize the funding to help seniors.  VOA will distribute blizzard boxes (shelf stable consumables) to each person who attends the congregate meal sitesThis option fits in with planning for emergencies, such as a Pandemic Flu.  Information about Emergency Preparedness could be distributed with the blizzard boxes.  Margaret will continue to analyze the nutrition program.

 

Margaret announced that she will be attending a presentation in Denver on Silver Print ColoradoSilver Print Colorado is made up of a group of delegates that attended the White House Conference on Aging.  Their goal is to implement a strategic plan for aging in Colorado.

CONSIDERATION OF MINUTES OF March 8, 2007    

No changes were recommended.  Minutes stand as presented.

CONSIDERATION OF MINUTES OF May 10, 2007     

No changes were recommended.  Minutes stand as presented.

CHAIR REPORT

Earl Stevens reported that the Executive Committee discussed possible changes to the committee format.

UPDATE ON OFFICE ON AGING

Margaret Long distributed an article from the Coloradoan about Earl Stevens.  Margaret presented certificates of appreciation to Paul Bell, Karen Reinhardt, and Lloyd Spawn for their service as council members.  Margaret also presented Earl Stevens with an appreciation plaque for being the Advisory Council chair for the past year. 

 

Margaret presented the One-Year Plan for both state and federal funds for discussion and approval.  Margaret thanked Stacie Hougard for her work on the budget and Tina Hugo for inputting units of service.  Margaret reported that the Office on Aging completed the Request for Proposal process and has now incorporated those figures into the one-year plan.  Margaret explained that there will not be any changes in how the Office on Aging conducts business.  Due to the additional state funds, the Office on Aging will be able to continue funding contracts at the same level as last year, with a few exceptions.  The Wellington Senior Center’s funding will increase from $7,300 to $11,000.  This increase is due to the rising gas prices and the expansion of their transportation service.  The Family Caregiver Support Program will have some changes due to the Colorado Trust grant.  With the funding from the grant, the Office on Aging will be able to expand respite care and material aid grants.  Margaret is steadfast in keeping the current level of staffing for the Office on Aging.  In order to do this the Office on Aging will need to use more federal funds.  If there is no increase in state funding there will not be enough money to fund the B services at current levels.  levels as internal costs are forecasted to go up, particularly the cost for employee health benefits.Therefore, the council must continue their efforts and be diligent in advocating for increased funding. 

 

Roger Bailey questioned the administrative budget; where does the money come from to pay salaries?  Margaret replied that there is $80,000 in the Federal Title III funds for Administration.   Some of these funds are reserved for program development.  In addition, some funds come out of the Caregiver and Ombudsman programs to pay for Margaret and Tina’s salaries.  Margaret went on to explain that there is also money for administration in the state funds. The ombudsmen, family care giver support program and outreach programs are funded out of Federal Title III B. Margaret stated that the County money is used for match.  Margaret reported that the county also funds two programs strictly out of county general fund dollars, $10,000 for four rural senior centers, and $20,000 for the Senior Tax Work-off Program. 

 

Karen Reinhardt asked if the Office on Aging has plans to pursue additional grants.  Margaret replied that yes, the office does plan to continue to look for grants, but must be very careful to not compete with our community partners.  Margaret stated that the Colorado Trust grant was perfect because the Office on Aging is basically the fiscal agent. Allowing our partners to expand their efforts in providing support to family caregivers and our office the opportunity to maintain and even increase our support with respite care vouchers and material aide.

 

Karen Reinhardt moved that the council accept the financial forms for both the Federal and state funds, Paul Bell seconded motion.  Motion was passed

COUNCIL MEMBER BIOGRAPHY:

Karen ReinhardtJim Barlow gave a brief autobiography.

 

 

SENIOR ADVISORY REPORTS

Fort Collins Senior Advisory Board Report

No report given.

 

Loveland Senior Advisory Board

Earl Stevens reported that the Board had postponed their meeting due to Medicare Part D training.  Earl stated that the Solutions to Senior Care conference that was held the last Saturday in October had good reviews

 

Foundation on Aging

Mary Shultz reported that the foundation will meet next Tuesday with the agencies that received mini-grants to learn the results for each agencyThey will also discuss collaborating with the Office on Aging for a possible increase in fundingMary stated that their accountant received a notice from the IRS stating that due to a change in a tax code, the foundation may have to file a 990 form this year. 

 

Larimer County Commissioner

Randy Eubanks reported on the Fort Collins Transit Task Force wrap upHighlights of the final report include improved forms and processes and a completed inventory of vehicles owned by organizations in the community that might be used for para-transitThe task force looked at increasing volunteerism and a donation program of vehicles from other non-profits as a way of expanding their services.  The recommendation includes looking for a permanent source for funding. 

 

Randy commented that the County redid some of the numbers for ownership taxes with the result being an increase in county transit funds of $40K that will go to Larimer Lift and Fox Trot.   

 

Human Relations Commission: 

No report given.

 

Commission on Aging: 

No report given.

COMMITTEE & STAFF REPORTS

Community Outreach & Education Committee

Mary Shultz reported that the Job Fair Committee is starting to meet at the Fort Collins Senior CenterThe Workforce Center takes the lead on the committee.  Evaluations from the Job Fair last year were very good.

 

Mary stated that some committee members attended the Project Visibility Training and found it very informative. 

 

Mary reported that Sharon Zamora commented that there is a problem with the bus stop for the Northside Aztlan CenterSharon explained that the way the bus stop is now, children and seniors will have to cross College Avenue and the railroad tracks with no curb or sidewalks.  Mary stated that the committee passed this issue onto to Public Policy & Advocacy Committee.

 

Media & Public Relations Committee

Janet Montera stated that Elnora McCloughan will attend the November 13th discussion on the OOA and Foundation on Aging collaboration.  Janet reported that the committee is working on connecting with Senator Bob Bacon regarding the Interfaith Council.  The committee is continuing to review the Speakers’ Bureau.  Janet announced that Jim Barlow is working with Gary Thomas at SAINT to see if SAINT and the OOA can share booth space at the Health Fair and other Old Town activities.  Jim is also distributing the Answers on Aging Resource Guides to banking institutions.

 

Planning, Funding & Partnership Development Committee

Roger Bailey reported that the committee is looking at a N4A “Blueprint for Action in regards to our area plan.  Roger will also attend the meeting on November 13th to look at the possibility of the Office on Aging and the Foundation on Aging working together to foster funding for the elderly in the county.   

 

Pubic Policy & Advocacy Committee

Stan Ulrich reported that the committee met with Representative Fischer.  Discussion included transportation issues as well as finding long term and stable funding for all programs.  Stan stated that the biggest obstacle seems to be TABOR.  Stan reports that there is some discussion about starting legislation for a state constitution convention because there are so many conflicting amendments.  Stan attended a meeting on foreclosures with Senator Johnson and Representatives Fischer and Kefalas along with several other agencies.  Currently, Larimer County has the highest foreclosure rate in the state.   

 

Staff Reports

Tina Barker reported that the Ombudsman program is looking into a possible Social Work intern in the Spring.  Tina commented that the Federal report was completed and shows an increase in the number of complaints and reports.  Tina reported on the Project Visibility training which had good attendance

 

Katy Mason distributed brochures on educational opportunities for older adults.  Katy participated in a Medicare Part D training that the Aspen Club sponsored in conjunction with the state.  Medicare Part D continues to have a lot of issues and problems.  Katy stated that the disappointing news is that the two main companies providing plans for low income individuals; Humana and AARP, are doing away with those plansLegislators need to know that Medicare Part D is a mess and is very difficult to understand.  Brochures are being distributed that let people know where to go for help.  The pharmacies are very happy to get these brochures. 

 

Katy asked the council for help with short presentations about disaster and pandemic preparedness at each congregate site when the blizzard boxes are distributed

 

Katy stated that Ernie Zamora has been hired as a temporary employee to deliver the Answers on Aging Resource Guides

 

Margaret Long announced on behalf of Lynette McGowan that the 2nd annual Caregiver Pampering Day is Saturday, November 10th from 8:30 – 1:00 at Hospice.

 

PROVIDER PRESENTATION

CSU Center on Aging, Manfred Diehl

Manfred Diehl gave a presentation on the CSU Center on Aging.  The Center on Aging was founded in 2000 because of a grant secured by professors.  The Center on Aging is built upon a community of researchers.  CSU found there is a need to create external funding and will do this by engaging in building community partnerships

 

Manfred spoke about Colorado State University’s base in research on basic and applied aging.  They are working to connect the dots and have created a research team in order to secure more federal funding.  The Center of Aging’s long term goal is to secure a large 3-5 year federal grant.

 

The second component of the Center on Aging is to help implement the Gerontology Interdisciplinary Studies Program (GISP) program.  This program is a certificate program to get students interested at the sophomore and junior level on the issues of aging.  The third component is the mission of service and outreach.  Currently the Center is learning about the different agencies throughout Larimer County.  They were part of the proposal to the Colorado Trust and will be involved in completing the evaluation portion of the grant.  The Center has also worked with the Extension Office in creating the “Aging in the Workforce” conference.

 

ANNOUNCEMENTS

Glen Rathegeber announced that there have been some problems with the telephone lines being busy.  He stated that the county is in the process of ordering a T-1 line which will bring approximately 600 more lines into the county office.

 

Helen Davis announced that the Osherlife Institute has grants available for tuition assistance for those who have a desire to learn.

 

ADJOURNMENT

Elnora adjourned the meeting at 3:30 p.m.

ELECTIONS

Earl Stevens distributed the nomination ballot to the council members.  The ballot listed Elnora McCloughan for Chair, Nancy Arthur as Vice Chair.  Nancy Arthur declined to automatically be nominated for the Chair position next year.  Katy Mason collected and counted the ballots.  By unanimous vote, Elnora was elected Chair and Nancy was elected Vice Chair.

DISCUSSION/FINAL WRAP-UP OF COMMITTEE STRUCTURE

Janet Montera distributed a copy of the new committee structure that was recommended for the Office on Aging Advisory Council.  Janet opened discussion with the council.  Marcy Greenslit, Steve Budner, Roger Bailey and Katy Mason described the structure in detail. 

 

Stan Ulrich moved to vote on adopting the new committee structure and title changes.  Marcy Greenslit seconded and the motion was passed.  The new committees and titles are as follows:

 

          #1:  Public Policy and Advocacy Committee

          #2:  Community Outreach and Education Committee

          #3:  Planning, Funding and Partnership Development Committee

          #4:  Media and Public Relations Committee

 

Katy explained that the next step in this process is for council members to sign-up for the committees.  Sign up sheets for members, including the new members, will be available at the July meeting.  Each of the new committees will then establish a time to meet, and then discuss the goals, functions and activities of their new committee. 

 

Stan Ulrich moved to vote that during the July meeting, members will sign up, and select a meeting date to discuss goals, functions and activities.  Karen Reinhardt seconded the motion.   The vote was unanimous.

 

Margaret Long noted that she will begin the process of changing the bylaws. 

 

ADJOURNMENT

Earl adjourned the meeting at 3:29 p.m.

 

 

Background Image: Loveland Bike Trail by Sharon Veit. All rights reserved.