Larimer County Offices, Courts, and District Attorney will be closed February 20, 2017 for the Presidents' Day Holiday. The Landfill will be open. Critical services at Larimer County are not disrupted by closures.
Larimer County Extension Advisory Committee
March 4, 2009, 8:00 – 10:00 a.m.
Extension Office Meeting Room
Members Present: Suzanne Jarboe-Simpson, Rob Ryan, Jessie May Hendrickson, Ralph Bender, Marsha Dooley, Kyle Uhlmann, Pam Harrold, David Lee, Rob Knebl, Dixie Dick, Valerie Clark, Seth Anthony, Commissioner Kathay Rennels.
Staff Present: Extension Director Laurel Kubin and Family and Consumer Sciences Agent Jacque Miller
Welcome and Introductions
Agent Report: Jacque Miller
An introduction to the website: Grandparents Raising Grandchildren Online Support
Colorado Grandparents Raising Grandchildren
· Custodial grandparents increased by 73% in Colorado, compared to 30% nationally during the same time period of 10 years
· 75% of grandparents are under the age of 60
· 53% are white and 34% Hispanic
· 13% live in poverty
· Colorado Children of Grandfamilies
· 51,325 children live in grandparent headed households
· Another 19,230 children live with households headed by other
· Of these children 28,185 live in household without either parent present
Definition of Grandfamily
The term “Grandfamilies” refers to families where the grandparent(s) or other relative(s) is raising a child and may or may not have a legal relationship to the child who is related by blood, marriage or adoption. Also known as “Kinship Care”, “Kincare”, and “Relative Care”.
Grandparents Step In When. . .
Costs of Caregiving
Challenges of Caregiving
Literature Review Shows (Hayslip and Kaminski 2005) . . .
In Colorado . . . .
Research Suggests . .
Purpose of website . .
Website Designed for . . .
What Will I Find at?
Agent Report: Laurel Kubin
Financial Literacy Initiative
Financial Literacy Summit held in December
Northern Colorado Saves Campaign
· Monthly Quick Memo or Tip
· Enter into America Saves data base
· Quarterly Newsletter through America Saves
· Coaching available from America Saves and Locally
Create a Piggy Bank Contest
· Got a grant from Consumer Federation of America
· Awarded savings bond and everyone got a ribbon for participation
Saint Patrick’s Day Parade
· Float to encourage savers
· Need walkers with the float. Requested to wear green to compliment theme “Saving of the Green”
Video Tape for Channel 10 School Districts
Teaching classes for city and county employees
Loveland Public Library series of classes
Teaching Tools presented
Train the Trainer for Spend Some, Save Some, Share Some curriculum
· some will get coaching to get started
o House of Neighborly Services
o Thompson School District Early Childhood
Hosted Train the Trainers session on the High School Financial Planning Program for 25 teachers in Poudre and Thompson School District
Laurel reported on:
Weld County Extension Situation
Weld County has requested to renegotiate with CSU to have just the 4-H program. The Weld County Extension Director has resigned, the Consumer and Family Education program has been terminated, and their Master Gardners are asking who will supervise their program. They do not even feel a need for an agriculture agent. Surrounding counties concerned about repercussions from this situation. Some guidelines are in place for 4-H, but not for other Extension programs.
Committee members asked: How would you like us to support you?
Larimer County Staff will help where we can – in being a good partner in the state, but only with negotiations for resources to support.
CSU Budget Situation
2.83% cut in current Extension fiscal year. Hiring freeze provided enough salary savings to cover this reduction in the current budget. Furloughs are being discussed for CSU faculty as possibilities in the next budget year, depending on the severity of next year’s budget cuts.
.75 FTE cut back in the Food and Nutrition Education position from 1.5 FTE Nora continues to provide programs in this area and is stretched to meet the needs, as food stamp recipients are on the increase
Ernie Marx will be leaving his position in the near future. This will undoubtedly be a frozen position.
Colorado Living: Larimer Edition Newsletter
First edition will be out the first of April and will be sent out electronically. It will contain a combination on content and update on events/activities. A list serv will be developed including decisions makers, collaborators, partners, volunteers, 4-H families, etc.
February 28: Extension was in Overdrive
Fiber Fest at McKee Building
Livestock Exposition at the 1st National Bank Building
High Plains Landscape Workshop in Fort Collins
Piggy Bank Contest
This is the 50th year of the carnival. Volunteers are needed to sell tickets. Advisory committee members should expect a call from the carnival committee requesting their assistance.
Meeting Dates Discussion
New meeting dates are:
Update on Advisory Committee Contact List
The list was passed around for corrections.
Trends and Issues: Member input
Increase in need for Larimer County Services as reported by at the United Way Annual Meeting
· 211 reports lowest rate of connection to services – 30% due to requests for financial assistance
· House of Neighborly Services – 33% 4th quarter increase, currently 7 new families a day
· Disables Resource Services – 33% increase in financial assistance requests, anticipate 50% increase in 2009
· Neighbor to Neighbor – 26% increase in emergency rent assistance
· Homelessness Prevention Initiative – 30% increase in emergency rent assistance
· Consumer Credit Counseling – 18% increase in first time appointments
· Food Bank – 23% increase in clients over the last year (Q4, 2008). Kids Café – 69% over last year due to new sit to accommodate demand
· Mathews House – 20% increase over last year
· Partners Mentoring Youth – 30% increase in clients over the last year
· Alternatives to Violence – 79% increase in clients over
· Crossroads Ministry – 25% increase in families accessing services in January over 1 year ago
Involvement in the State 4-H Foundation
· Please contact Rob Ryan to connect him to others that might be potential supporter of the Foundation and will extend an invite to the 4-H Gala
Meeting adjourned at 10:00 a.m.