Larimer County Offices, Courts, District Attorney, and Landfill are closed on May 29, 2017 in observance of the Memorial Day Holiday. Critical services at Larimer County are not disrupted by closures.
LARIMER COUNTY BOARD OF HEALTH – June 10, 2010
The Larimer County Board of Health (BOH) convened its regular meeting at 7:00 PM at the Larimer County Department of Health and Environment (LCDHE), 1525 Blue Spruce Drive, Fort Collins, CO.
COMMISSIONERS PRESENT: Commissioner Steve Johnson
MEMBERS PRESENT: Dr. Mark Richards, M.D., M.P.H.
Teri Olson, R.N., M.S.N.
Lee Thielen, M.P.A.
Judy Robinson, RN, MPH
Executive Secretary Adrienne LeBailly, M.D., M.P.H.
Staff: Jim Devore, Ed Schemm, Marie Macpherson, Bruce Peters, and Amanda Mozer
1. Larimer County Board of Health (BOH) met in a Joint Session with the Board of County Commissioners (BOCC) prior to the Board of Health meeting
At conclusion of Joint Session, BOH and BOCC celebrated Terri Olson’s last day as a BOH Member and thanked her for participating on the Board for two terms.
2. Call to order
The Board of Health meeting was called to order at 7:23 PM.
3. Approval of the May 13, 2010, Board of Health meeting minutes
The minutes of the May 13, 2010 meeting were unanimously approved.
4. Board Governance presentation – Lee Thielen
Ø Lee Thielen presented “Board Governance”, referenced the “Local Boards of Health Orientation” presented by Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment (CDPHE) at the Colorado Association of Local Boards of Health (CALBOH) meeting and distributed CDPHE presentation slides to Board Members
Ø Presentation sources: Boards that Make a Difference by John Carver, “To Ensure Candor at the Top, Begin at the Beginning”, Briefings on Talent and Leadership, Korn/Ferry Institute, “National Public Health Performance Standards”, Local Public Health Governance, “Local Boards of Health Orientation”, Office of Planning and Partnership, CDPHE
Ø Topics addressed in presentation:
· What can go wrong with the Board (i.e. time on trivial, short term bias, reactive stance, etc.)
· Carver’s New Governance (i.e. hold and support vision, force an external focus, be concerned with needs and markets, not internal issues and organizational mechanics, etc.)
· Strategies for Board Leadership (i.e. be obsessed with effects for people, perpetually redefine quality, etc.)
· Board and Staff from Carver (i.e. Board has only one employee - the CEO, CEO’s role is: job design, leadership, strategic organization, and setting a climate of creative achievement, etc.)
· National Public Health Performance Standards Program is based on 10 Essential Services of Public Health
· The Public Health Act of 2008 is legislation that:
· Local public health agency (LPHA) duties
· Local BOH duties
· Local BOH legal powers
· PH Director duties
· Board education, technical assistance and information is available through CALBOH and National Association of Local Boards of Health
Ø Suggestion made for Local BOH to offer a mentoring function where an established Local BOH could offer guidance to a newly formed Local BOH
5. Budget update - Dr. LeBailly and Marie Macpherson
Ø Dr. LeBailly and Marie Macpherson, Administrative Services Director, provided a budget update to Board
Ø LCDHE anticipates the County cutting an average of 4% to departments in 2011 (a 4% cut to our budget is about $120,000) and as needed, up to another 4% in 2012, rather than a full 8% in 2012.
· County is predicting property taxes will go down 6-8% in 2012 and 2013
· County is considering a merit increase of 2.5% for 2011
· LCDHE is trying to keep staffing levels whole whenever possible until more is known about grant and County funding
· By early July, LCDHE will know base budget contribution from the County
Ø Dr. LeBailly explained the Health and Well Being Strategy Map to Board Members
· County’s budgeting system has a new format
· All of LCDHE programs need to be connected to one of the following five major service area budget:
· Logistically it is very challenging to budget a all of LCDHE’s services in 5 areas
Ø County is thinking about doubling how much sick leave pay out it will give to retiring/terminating employees
· There is a proposal to put sick leave payouts into health retirement accounts, which are different than health savings accounts.
· LCDHE is concerned on how they would pay for this as they have several staff who are close to retirement and have a lot of sick leave
6. Report from CCI/CALBOH meetings in Vail – Dr. Richards and Lee Thielen
Ø Lee Thielen and Dr. Richards provided an overview of the CCI/CALBOH meeting in Vail
· First organizational meeting of CALBOH (officers were elected; bylaws were passed)
· Dr. Richards distributed the CCI/CALBOH Pocket Guide brochure to Board Members
· Lee was elected Treasurer of CALBOH
· Next CALBOH meeting is scheduled for November 29th in Colorado Springs
7. Directors report - Dr. LeBailly
Ø Tobacco program update
· Due to tobacco grant shortages, some tobacco staff FTE have been picked up by other programs
· LCDHE accepted the transitional tobacco funding given to departments to use three months at a reduced funded level
· Revisiting staffing level decisions for November 1st and beyond is dependent on whether or not LCDHE submits a 2010/2011 request for application (RFA).
· LCDHE is waiting for complete RFA to be released before deciding if LCDHE is going to apply
Ø Healthy Communities program (formally EPSDT) update
· Program provides outreach to families who are eligible for Medicaid or Child Health Plan Plus and links people into healthcare services
· Under the new health care reform laws, eligibility for some Medicaid/CHP+ services has expanded and people may not know they are eligible for services
· Program was previously funded by state Health Department and was recently moved to the Colorado Department of Health Care Policy and Financing (HCPF)
· State Program has unspent money that we have been offered and will use in part for a media campaign to make people aware of their new eligibility for health coverage.
Ø Interviews for new Board Member are tentatively scheduled to be completed June 18, 2010
· LCDHE received 5-6 applicants
· Board needs a member from Loveland,as geographic representation is important.
· Dr. LeBailly will send Dr. Richards the BOH applicants’ CVs
Ø LCDHE received a training from Gus Lee on how to courageously resolve conflicts
· Gus Lee is conducting a “Courageous Leadership” series for Character Fort Collins in 2010
Ø A bill was introduced into the legislature about 5 years ago that allowed people to buy shares of cows to get unpasteurized milk
· Expanding existing statute may come up in next legislation session
· Larimer had an outbreak of Campylobacter from cow share milk in 2005, and Utah is dealing with outbreak at this time.
· Board would like a presentation on the risks of unpasteurized dairy products at a future BOH meeting
8. Next meeting is tentatively scheduled for July 22, 2010 at 7 PM
Ø August BOH meeting is tentatively scheduled for August 19th
· Dr. LeBailly will confirm July and August BOH meeting dates via email with Board Members
The Board of Health meeting was adjourned at 8:34 PM.
Amanda Mozer, Recording Secretary Adrienne LeBailly, MD, Executive Secretary