Larimer County Offices, Courts, and District Attorney will be closed February 20, 2017 for the Presidents' Day Holiday. The Landfill will be open. Critical services at Larimer County are not disrupted by closures.
AGRICULTURAL ADVISORY BOARD
September 8, 2010
Members present: David Bee, Curtis Bridges, Justin Discoe, Lew Grant, Minerva Lee, Val Manning, Brett Markham, George Reed, Richard Seaworth, Jon Slutsky, Chris Van Anne, Becky Waldo and George Wallace. Others present: Karen Crumbaker (Extension), Lew Gaiter (Larimer County Commissioner), Ch arles Gindler (L arimer Coun ty D NR), Donna Goodwin (Extension), and Linda Hoffmann (Staff liaison, Larimer County Planning & Building Division). Speaker: Martha Sullins Coordinator of CSU Information Center. Guests: LuAnn Goodyear and Gail Meisner.
I. Meeting was called to order by David Bee at 12:37 p.m.
II. Minutes were reviewed and approved for the July 14, 2010 meeting.
III. Martha Sullins from CSU Information Center, gave an update on Cultural Tourism Project with Larimer and Weld counties. The Strategic Plan has two phases with the first one completed with Larimer County. The draft can be found at www.ext.colostate.edu/cis/noco-tourism.pdf Martha will send additional information to Linda Hoffmann for an Open House in February 2011.
IV. Linda Hoffmann gave an update on the Regional Food System Assessment. The Project Advisory Team (PAT) will have an open house on October 5, at the Courthouse, 200 W. Oak, Fort Collins in the Hearing Room, between 4:00 – 7:00 p.m. The web site is: www.larimer.org/foodassessment for more information.
V. Ag Land Preservation and Stewardship Committee gave an update. They are ready for the next step which is education: 1) Educate the farmer about land conservation options 2) Educate the community starting with water boards who control water leases to agriculture. This will be a significant part of the committee’s goal. Fort Collins Legacy Land Trust Board has received a grant to hire a Director of Conservation. The duties will include outreach and searching for different funding resources. This could be helpful to this committee.
· Suggestion of inviting the Real Estate Commissioner to speak about the information new property owners receive on purchasing acreage. What are they told about water rights? What are they told about right to farm issues? Questions arose about new landowners expectations.
· Another potential/desired speaker is Joel Salatin – Sustainable Agriculture
· Karen Crumbaker announced a Small Acreage Workshop on September 11, at The Ranch in Loveland.
· Next AAB meeting on November 10. The committees will meet instead of having a general meeting.
· Harvestival September 11 & 12, from 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. at Grant Farms.
· Meeting adjourned at 2:27 p.m.