RED FEATHER LAKES PLANNING ADVISORY COMMITTEE

Fire House Meeting Room

44 Fire House Lane, Red Feather Lakes, CO

 

April 8, 2010 Meeting Notes

 

The meeting was called to order at 1:35 PM by Chairperson Ted Carter.

 

Members in Attendance: Gene Barker, Susan Bradley, Ted Carter, Terry Ferebee, Eunice Michalka, Ben Myers, Ross Reid, Lucille Schmitt and Roger Svendsen

 

Larimer County Representation : County Commissioner Lew Gaiter, III, Rob Helmick, LARCO Planning

 

Guests Present : Pat Bradley, Stephen Johnson, Joe Johnson and Patrick Kind

 

Adoption of Agenda: The agenda was approved as written

 

Approval of Minutes : March meeting minutes delayed until May 2010

 

Communications from Committee Members :

 

1.  Ben Myers advised that he was informed that the residences in the High County Estates are experiences some issues with their water system. 

 

Comments from Audience :  Patrick Kind, RFL School’s Principal, presented an Ad that the school desires to place in the upcoming North Forty News edition.  The Ad talks about the school and what the school has to offer to the community and the area and Mr. Kind is seeking financial contribution from the community to pay for the $587.50 advertisement.  Joe Johnson added that the School wants to celebrate that the RFL School is still open and to celebrate the RFL community.

 

Communications from County Representatives :

 

1.  LARCO Commissioner Lew Gaiter III advised that PAC that he is starting to look at “what is the vision of Larimer County” this vision will encompass the communities within Larimer County and the people that reside in Larimer County.  As such, he asked what the PAC thinks of Red Feather Lakes.  PAC advised Mr. Gaiter that RFL is a rural recreational environment that needs businesses where residences can be employed.  RFL is the gate way to the vast National Forrest Land and the recreational opportunities that provides.  RFL provides a solitude get away from the busyness of the surrounding larger communities.  Mr. Gather stated that if RFL could improve their communication (band width) infrastructure, e-businesses might be attracted to the area. 

 

2.  Bob Helmick, LARCO Planning.  There is an increase in development activities within Larimer County.  The Court House, in the next 3 months, will be doing some renovations due to the movement of Human Resources, Finance and Facilities from Midpoint Drive to the Court House. 

 

Action Items :  None

 

Updates :

 

1.  Road Survey Grant:  Rob Helmick has not seen the finalized contract

 

2.  Board Member:  The PAC discussed the situation surrounding Barbara Bowman’s absence from the RFLPAC January, February and March meetings.  After discussion, Susan Bradley made the following motion: It is recommended that Barbara Bowman’s association with RFLPAC be terminated and request that Larimer Board of County Commissioners advertise for three or four board members to fill current vacancies and to establish a list to fill any future vacancies.  Second by Ross Reid.  All PAC members present approved the motion.

 

3.  Secretary Position:  Ross Reid advised that he has not received any interest from any resident pertaining to taking notes at the PAC meetings.

 

Discussion Item – Community Pathways

 

1.  Ted Carter asked members to identify the key points they took away from the meeting with Don Sandoval that will be most helpful and enlightening for our discussion today and the near future?  Responses included:  No way we can afford incorporation; possible establishment of a water/sanitation and road districts; an improvement district would be more suited than a special district; start small with a special district where RFL has control over it rather than an improvement district where the County has control; the cost of a water and sanitation district would be a community killer; use CSU extension fund resources to formulate and conduct a survey – what do people want and are willing to pay for; you don’t know what kind of governance you want for Red Feather until you define what kind of services you want; the first priority is to determine the required services and once you ascertain that, you find the type of government that most appropriately fits with those services.  Ted recommended that a subcommittee be organized to work with Century Tel and other providers to increase Red Feather Lakes’ internet capabilities. 

 

Eunice Michalka made a motion that Ben Myers chair a RFLPAC subcommittee to investigate bringing high speed internet to Red Feather Lakes.  Second by Ross Reid.  All members present approved.  Eunice Michalka and Roger Svendsen agreed to work with Ben Myers on the subcommittee. 

 

2.  The PAC discussed protecting the recreational water that is owned by the Red Feather Lakes Water and Irrigation Company.  The most important item that RFL residences identified in a 2005 survey by a margin of 20% was to protect the recreational water rights.  If the issue is to protect these water rights, then there is a need to investigate the best way to protect these recreational water rights and then if the outcome of this discussion is a water district, then it is recommended that the Red Feather Lakes Water and Irrigation Company develop a plan on how to get this outcome.  Gene Barker volunteered to discuss this item with the RFL Water and Irrigation Company Board and will report back to the PAC in July 2010 on any plan of action.

 

3.  Ted Carter asked the PAC membership if they think the 2005 survey is still relevant and what outstanding issues does the PAC need to address?  Membership advised that the survey is still valid, but some members had issues about how the questions were constructed.  Eunice Michalka advised that in the last five years, there has been a decrease in the number of people volunteering for Red Feather Lakes’ activities/organizations. 

 

RFLPAC meeting adjourned at 3:30 PM.

Submitted by Terry Ferebee